It’s officially summer and for me, summer = strawberries. This cake is easy to throw together – no icing, no layers, no fuss. It’s based on a Martha Stewart recipe (converted into grams below). It’s not the prettiest cake to look at, but it sure tastes good.
Strawberry Cake (approx 8 servings)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing180g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
200g caster sugar
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
125ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 punnet (500g) strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180℃/350℉/Gas Mark 4. Grease a pie dish and set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium low and mix in the egg, milk and vanilla extract.
3. Reduce the speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture.
4. Pour the batter into the pie plate and push the strawberries (cut side down) into the batter. NB I pushed my strawberries too far and they all ended up at the bottom, but it still tasted delicious!
5. Sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top and then put in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 170℃/325℉/Gas Mark 3 and bake until golden brown and firm to the touch.
7. Serve once cooled, preferably with cream or vanilla ice cream.
PS I have my eye on this very indulgent strawberry recipe – yum!