This week there were a lot of comings and goings here at Thriftea Central and the whole routine went to pot. As such, I ended the week with stale bread that hadn’t made it into either sandwiches or the freezer. What better to do at this point than make a delicious bread and butter pudding?
2 tsp cinnamon
350ml semi-skimmed milk
2. Butter one side of the bread and cut into triangles
3. Place a layer of bread triangles across the bottom of an oven-proof dish and scatter with raisins, continue to build in layers until all the bread has been used
4. Gently heat the milk and cream in a saucepan, without allowing to boil
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with 15g of the sugar
6. Add the milk/cream mix in with the eggs and stir to combine into a thick custard, then pour over the bread and leave to sit for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180℃/360℉/Gas Mark 4
7. Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown
Enjoy warm with cream and the smug satisfaction that your bread did not go to waste!