Tuesday 4th March is surely the best Tuesday of 2014 as it’s Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day.
I usually opt for this thriftea pancake recipe, but this year if you fancy something a little different, why not try some American-style pancakes? This recipe is a Nigella recipe that’s really quick and easy to make and produces delicious, fluffy pancakes that are crying out to be drizzled with syrup or honey.
225g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
300 ml milk (use powdered milk for extra thriftiness)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Melt the butter, set aside to cool
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl
3. Make a well in the centre and pour the milk, eggs and butter in
4. Beat the liquid into the flour mix
5. Set a non-stick pan over a high heat, pour the batter in and flip once the top begins to bubble
6. Stack, drizzle and serve!
PS Did you know that in Iceland, Shrove Tuesday is known as ‘Sprengidagur’ (Bursting Day) and instead of pancakes, the Icelandic people eat salted meat and peas?