It’s Chinese New Year this Friday and if you’re looking for a thrifty dish, how about using up leftover rice* to make egg fried rice?
2 tbsp soy sauce
Handful of frozen peas
Salt & pepper to season
1. Heat a glug of olive oil in a non-stick pan until sizzling
2. Add the rice and stir fry for 3-4 minutes, breaking up all of the rice
3. Add the frozen peas and soy sauce and continue to fry until hot through
4. Crack the egg into a mug and whisk with a fork, adding salt and pepper
5. Push aside the rice in the pan, then add the egg, leave for 10 seconds to set a little before breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring through the rice
6. Serve immediately
I had my egg-fried rice with pork stir fry, thriftily made with leftover meat from the Sunday roast for a delicious week day dinner.
* See here for advice on storing and re-heating rice safely
PS 31st January will see us usher in the year of the horse, but what animal are you? Find out here… Apparently I’m a snake!