This month’s seasonal food recipe is Cauliflower Cheese. My mum always used to cook this on the hob with packet cheese sauce when she was in a hurry after work and I can’t say the dish has really inspired me (sorry Mum!) until now. The oven baked, home-made sauce variety is much more tasty. Maybe I should send Mum the recipe?
Serves 4 as a main dish
1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off and cut into chunks)
500ml milk (I used skimmed made from powder- thriftier and less fatty)
4 tbsp plain flour
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220℃/fan 200℃/gas mark 7
2. Boil the cauliflower for 5-6 minutes, until soft when poked with a fork
3. Drain and set aside
4. Heat the milk, butter and flour in the pan and whisk until the sauce has thickened (approx 2-3 minutes), stir in approximately half of the cheese
5. Tip the cauliflower into the saucepan and stir to coat in the cheese sauce
6. Pour the cauliflower into an oven proof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the top is golden (if you get impatient- stick under the grill for a minute or two!)
I served mine with a baked potato and roasted leeks (another seasonal veg for Feb). A winter warmer!